LAREDO INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
POSITION: Certified Deaf Interpreter – (min. $50,000)
SALARY: Min $50,000 (salary negotiable)
BENEFITS: Partially paid health and life insurance, five days state personal leave, five days local sick leave and TRS retirement plan.
MINIMUM DUTY DAYS: 10 Months (187 days)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or G.E.D.; Some experience working with deaf or hard-of-hearing students. Minimum Level I certification from the Texas Commission for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Board of the Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) or Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) certification.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE SKILLS:
1. Must be able to interpret/transliterate with at least 70% accuracy in both expressive and receptive domains.
2. General knowledge of language development and child development
3. Knowledge of deaf culture and the ability to interact with the deaf community
4. Strong people skills
5. Ability to work with children with disabilities
6. Ability to follow verbal and written instruction ability to communicate effectively
7. Knowledge of general office equipment
8. Have a constructive and cooperative attitude towards the duties of the school, the staff and the students
9. Fluent signing skills
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: NA
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS: Previous experience as an interpreter in an educational setting. Meet one of the following requirements:
1. Completion of an Associate degree or higher from an accredited institution.
2. 48 semester credit hours from an accredited institution.
REPORTS TO: Principal and Deaf Education Teacher
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Work under general supervision of principal and immediate direction of certified teacher. Interpret for students who are deaf or hard-of- hearing. Model language for deaf and hard-of-hearing children and facilitate communication between deaf/hard-of-hearing students and staff.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until position is filled.
Apply by submitting an application with a resume to the Division of Human Resources, Laredo Independent School District, 1702 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas 78040. For application, job description or more information, please contact us at (956)-273-1000, 1-888-527-3308, or e-mail us at email@example.com
Internal applicants may apply by submitting a letter of intent with a resume. It is the policy of the Laredo Independent School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, national origin, gender, limited English proficiency, or handicapping condition in its programs.